Berwick-upon-Tweed lifeboat station operates both all weather and inshore lifeboats. During its 170-year history the lifeboat crews have been presented with nine awards for gallantry.
1834 A Silver Medal was awarded to Lieut H Baillie RN for rescuing six people from the schooner Cupido on 26 December 1833.
1835 A lifeboat house was located on the south side of the River Tweed at Spittal beach.
1838 A Gold Medal was awarded to Lieut D Rymer RN for rescuing six crew from the scooner Margaret.
A Silver Medal was awarded to Lieut EB Nott RN for rescuing nine people from the wrecked schooner Diana.
1855 The lifeboat station was taken over by the RNLI.
A Silver Medal was awarded to Dr FS Cahill for saving two people from a small boat.
1863 The lifeboat capsized on exercise, thankfully without the loss of life.
1877 Crew Member Thomas Elliott died, partly as a result of exposure during a service on 1 January.
1900 The boathouse was moved to the Berwick side of the river because of the difficulty in getting a crew from Spittal.
1901 A new boathouse was built at Ferry Landing.
1906 Whilst on service to a fishing boat the lifeboat was thrown on her side and the crew were washed overboard. Fortunately they were all recovered.
1908 A Silver Medal was awarded to Alexander Aitchison for saving his friend after their fishing boat capsized.
1913 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain Robert Burgon for rescuing 11 crew from the barque Jacob Rauers, wrecked in rough seas in Marshall Meadows Bay. The Swedish Government awarded Silver Medals to Robert Burgon and Second Coxswain James Jamieson for this service.
1915 A Silver Medal was awarded to Second Coxswain James Jamieson for saving six crew from the motor boat Redhead.
1930 The station was moved back to the south side of the river and a new boathouse with a roller slipway was built near Spittal beach.
1935 A Centenary Vellum was awarded to the station.
1967 An inshore lifeboat station was established with a D class lifeboat.
1975 A Bronze Medal was awarded to Helmsman William Shearer and the Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum to Crew Member Norman Jackson for rescuing two women from a capsized trimaran.
1976 The all weather Watson class lifeboat was withdrawn from service. The D class lifeboat was replaced by a B class Atlantic 21 lifeboat.
1985 A celebration 150th Anniversary Vellum was awarded to the station.
1993 An all weather lifeboat station was re-established when the B class Atlantic 21 lifeboat was withdrawn and replaced by a Mersey class lifeboat. The Joy and Charles Beeby was named by HRH The Duchess of Kent. The boathouse and slipway were adapted for the new lifeboat.
1995 A D class lifeboat was placed on service.
1996 A new D class lifeboat arrived at the station.
2005 The new D class, IB1 D-639 Howard and Mary Broadfield, was placed on service.
At Berwick-upon-Tweed the following awards have been made:
Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum 1
Bronze Medal 1
Silver Medal 6
Gold Medal 1